Maria's Good Time Fun Blog-o-Rama and Petting Zoo

I'm a Georgia-born, Mississippi-bred, Southern Belle living in sunny Los Angeles, California. I'm just trying to make life in the City of Angels truly feel like a little piece of heaven. Welcome to my blog of humorous anecdotes, mindless ramblings, witty invectives, random observations, and just general thinking out loud. Thanks for stopping by! Ya'll come back now, ya hear?!!!

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Welcome, Fall!


We've had our version of a cold spell here in Southern California, which means it's been in the low 80's, and with it, a hint of the holiday season that is nearly upon us. This is by far my favorite time of the year, and I have taken a cue from the stores and already put out my Halloween decorations. I put them out about a week and a half ago as a matter a fact. As soon as the mercury dipped into the 70's, I had my pumpkin scented candles burning and was shopping for gourds at Ralph's! 10 for $10!!! Such a deal!

This weekend my lovely fiancee and I kicked off the beginning of fall with a trip to Solvang, CA for Danish Days. Solvang is a little town about two hours north of LA that was settled by Danish immigrants in the early 20th century, and it looks like it's right out of a Hans Christen Andersen fairy tale. Imagine if they had a Danish Pavilion at EPCOT, and you get the picture. Except this is an entire town. The movie SIDEWAYS was filmed in the area. In fact, William and I stayed in the same Days Inn with the big windmill from the movie where the guys stayed, and ate at the Hitching Post where Maya worked. Delicious steaks, and the Santa Maria Pinot was particulary good. So I was told. I know squat about wine. I just know I don't like most of it because it takes like vinegar to me and I feel like I should be pouring it on my Long John Silver's instead of drinking it. But I liked the Santa Maria Pinot. Very mild.

Anyway, the entire town is decked out for the weekend with parades, bands, artisans, Viking camp reenactments, Danish dancers in traditional garb, aebleskiver and sausage breakfasts, and all the wine and beer you can drink. We ate, drank, made merry, and took many photos. It was a wonderful way to get the holidays underway, and we can't wait to go back next year!

So I'm ready for the holidays to begin. Bring on the Halloween parties and the hayrides! The apple-picking and the hot cocoa! The Secret Santas and the sweet potato pie! It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown marathons and the Toys for Tots drives! Welcome Fall, and all!